Monday, October 3, 2011

Blood Work & Ultrasound Results & Update on Sister In Law

I just got a call from my Md's office.  It was prompted by an inquiry from me last week as I had not heard from them.  I had asked when my call was coming with the results of the blood work and ultrasounds I'd had.  The receptionist seemed surprised that I had been expecting a call.  UGH!  Some things never change, I guess. 

In the call this morning, the receptionist said "the doctor says the blood work is hard to interpret without knowing where you were in your cycle."  and that "the sonohysterogram shows that only one tube is open so that would explain having longer cycles or skipping cycles.  OK?".

Umm....OK?  It appears that was where she was wanting to end the conversation.  Ummm....No, actually.  NOT OK!

I said that I went for the blood work on the days he prescribed.  Day 3, and then guesstimated at mid-cycle as its hard to tell with me.  I went on CD 21...which Fertility Friend is actually saying it thinks that is the day I ovulated.  Now, I have not got AF yet.  Today is CD 38.

She said maybe I ought to come in for an appointment.  Yes.  That's better.

In the meantime I asked her to fax me the results of the blood work.  So here goes....

CD3:
FSH - 9
Progesterone - **deleted by lab**
Estradiol 17 beta - **deleted by lab**
LH - **deleted by lab**
Ferritin (as I'm chronically borderline anaemic) - 28  (low range - but within target)

WTF is with the deleted by lab stuff???  Even if the Req didn't ask for these results on Day 3 WHY on EARTH would they not be included???  It just confirms for me more and more that they look at this stuff SO PIECEMEAL as opposed to as a whole.  Wouldn't these measurements help fill in the gaps in the picture???  I just don't get it!!!

Aside from that - FSH 9??!!!!  That's good right??  Really Really good!  I think in the last blood work it showed my FSH at 26 or something.  I'll have to go back and look.

CD 21
FSH - 4 (!!!!!!!)
LH - 2
Estradiol - 278
Progesterone - 65

I'm not sure how to interpret these results.  I think the LH is low if I was truly at mid-cycle - and I dont' know what that means.  The other #'s look good whether I was mid-cycle or luteal at the time of the draw.

Bottom line though - these are NOT peri-menopausal or menopausal numbers....right??  I think that's how to read them. 

Any thoughts, anyone???  Please????!

Also, one tube isn't working.  OK.  What does that MEAN?  Can it be fixed?  What do we do NOW?  I can't understand how the doctors office just calls and says - "there you go.  that's that.  bye bye.".   Ummm....NO!  You know we want to have a child, right?!  So...now that you know some of the obstacles, aren't you supposed to HELP US with this?!?!!?  Its infuriating!

I don't think I like Dr. Cutie as much as I thought at first.

As for my sister in law, thank you all for your kind words and thoughts.  She is home and doing well.  The doctors, based on her history, were extremely careful and perhaps overzealous - but we are glad for that.  Turns out it was mastitis...an infection in her breast.  Through anti-biotics she is much better, but sadly unable to breast feed as one breast simply won't work.  But at least she is healthy and so is baby Liam and everyone is happy to have her home!

1 comment:

  1. Were you doing the Clomid Challenge Test? That is when my FSH levels were taken on days 3 and 10. My clinic had a chart that basically said if it was under 10 on day 10 then you were good...if it was over 10 then you could have some ovarian function loss. Hope this helps some! I would look around for another clinic if yours is always this helpful :(

    ReplyDelete