Friday, October 14, 2011

Letting the cat out of the bag

We've decided to tell my family this weekend that we are expecting.

Hubby and I talked about how challenging its going to be to keep it from them this weekend and then we thought "why don't we want them to know"?

If something happens (knock on wood its NOT going to!) then we will want my family (Mom, Sister, Brother & Sister in Law) to be there to support us.  We would tell them then, so why not tell them now, so that I don't have to suffer all weekend with smells and avoiding smoke and not eating 'normal' food and trying to appear normal when I feel horrible and trying to force myself to stay awake when I need a nap, etc etc etc...

My mother and sister know about our IF struggles for the past 2 years - we told them both about 7 months ago.  My brother & sister in law don't just simply because we didn't want to tell them while they were expecting my nephew.  We didn't want them feeling guilty or badly around us.  Now that baby Liam is here and all is well, we can let them know we were struggling, but now seem to have somehow aligned the stars to make it happen!

I will feel so much better to be able to be open with them all.  I can talk freely and don't have to avoid things.

Hubby feels no need to do the same with his family (I said we could tell them if he wanted).  He is not close to them - he is closer with my family.  He said that heaven forbid if something happens he wouldn't want them to know & have to deal with them - so we will wait till 14 weeks to tell them.  They live about an hour away anyway and we only see them every few weeks, so it shouldn't be hard to 'hide' it from them.

I can't wait for my family's reaction!  It will be nice to give my mom some more good news for a change!

4 comments:

  1. I totally understand where you are coming from on the not telling too many about IF. I fell pregnant twice in close succession when I didn't realise that my bro and sis in laws had already been trying over a year and a half before my first pregnancy. It was only last year that my mother in law told us they had actually been trying for a baby for the past 5 years and whilst I still felt so bad for them I didn't have to carry the guilt of easy pregnancies along with all the other emotions you suffer in pregnancy. I'm just so happy that they are having a baby any day now! :)

    I can only imagine your mum would be ecstatic that you are having your first baby! It's an amazing journey, I hope you enjoy it.

    Becca. xxx

    PS, You have great taste in musicals, :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how exciting! I can't wait to hear how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great news, much better than trying to hid it all weekend. I'm sure they will all be thrilled!

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is totally how i felt and you know what they were so important for me when it did go crap. but this one, this one is a keeper so you wont be needing to worry about any of that!

    ReplyDelete