Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Dreams

I used to dream vividly and remember my dreams very clearly.  I can remember dreams from my childhood and in my younger years I used to have recurring dreams.  I haven't had recurring dreams in many years, nor have I had very vivid dreams as frequently as I used to.  I haven't dreamed much in the past several years at all, to be honest.

The last 2 nights I have had vivid dreams.

Last night I had a dream that I was sorting mail for our Canadian Postal System.  For some background on this, I have been 'floating' in the last couple of years or so trying to decide what career I would like to settle down into.  I will post more details of that in another post.  At any rate, one of my thoughts was that I might enjoy being a mail carrier.  I am a big walker, I don't want to take my work home with me, and they have excellent pay, benefits & pension.  At least, they did.  I have been doing some vacation coverage for them through the season in order to get a foot in the door.  Over the last several weeks there has been a dispute between the union and the corporation over the terms of a new collective agreement so there were strikes and lockouts and all sorts of craziness.  The carriers were just ordered back to work by the Canadian Government a couple of days ago.  My dream was that I was sorting through the backlog of mail, trying to organize everything for a route that I had never done before.  I was buried and innundated, frustrated & crying, seeing no way to dig my way out.

The night prior I dreamed about my Grandmother.  She and I were very, very close & I lost her very suddenly to Cancer this past November.  My husband and I actually bought the house next door to her.  Since Gramma's passing my mother has bought the house, as my father passed away a few months earlier in August and Gramma's house worked better for mom.  (its been a very, very difficult year)

I dreamed that my Gramma, my Mother, Hubby or my Sister (not sure which), and myself were hiking in a Grand Canyon-esque landscape.  There was a ridge with a shallow step that we climbed down on to.  It overlooked a gaping drop.  There were small, weak looking trees and branches growing out of the edge of the rock.  I grabbed on to one to assess the stability of where we were and it pulled right out of the ground.  I told everyone that we had better get off of the ledge as it wasn't safe.  We heard some rumbling beneath us & I told everyone to hurry.  We climbed up to the safe ground and walked on.  I turned around and Gramma was still there on the ledge unable to get up.  We rushed back to help her but she said for us to go on that there was no way she could get up.  I jumped down and said "no, come on Gramma, this way, you can do this, its easy", and I took her hand and led her down a different path (which miraculously appeared) which was a slow easy grade to safe ground.

I choke up at this.  I choke up every time I think of her.  I miss her.

No comments:

Post a Comment